As we say goodbye to fresh fruit and lazy pool days, we wind into fall, which ushers in a slew of its own spectacular perks. Amongst them, pumpkin. This fall, help Fido greet cooler weather barking. Your pooch can indulge in savory pumpkin-based dog bones while you enjoy a quick and simple recipe that gets your dog’s tail wagging.
Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Dog Treats: The Recipe
We’d like to give a big thank you to Kelly of All Recipes for sharing this great, mess-free formula.
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1. After preheating your oven to 350 degrees, it’s time to create your doggy dough.
2. To get the desired pumpkin-peanut butter goodness, whisk together peanut butter, eggs, flour, salt, cinnamon, and — the magical ingredient that no fall would be complete without– pumpkin.
*The desired effect is a moist, playable dough. Add water, as needed, to achieve this.*
3. After flattening this mixture into a dough half-an-inch in height, cut half-inch by half-inch pieces.
*If at this point your hands are covered in gooey, sweet dough, ask your four-legged friend to help with the preliminary finger-licking cleanup.*
4. Once the oven is preheated, bake treats for approximately 40 minutes, or until treats are firm.
The Finishing Touch
The fifth and final step is a taste test from your furry friend. Once cooled, share the taste of fall with your furball, checking for a tail wag of approval. This recipe should be repeated throughout the fall season. However, to maintain a healthy, balanced diet, be sure to take your dog on a walk through the bright-colored autumn leaves.